- 43 BC Octavian, later known as Augustus, compels the Roman Senate to elect him Consul.
- 1812 War of 1812: American frigate USS Constitution defeats the British frigate HMS Guerriere off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada earning her nickname "Old Ironsides".
- 1934 The first All-American Soap Box Derby is held in Dayton, Ohio.
- 1944 World War II: Liberation of Paris - Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
- 1960 Sputnik program: Sputnik 5 - the Soviet Union launches the satellite with the dogs Belka and Strelka, 40 mice, * 2 rats and a variety of plants.
- 1991 Collapse of the Soviet Union, August Coup: Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev is placed under house arrest while on holiday in the town of Foros, Crimea.
Also in 1991 - I got married. Which of course brings us to the annual anniversary haiku.
19th of August Bad day for Mr. Gorbachev My best day ever.